Current:Home > FinanceA woman wins $3.8 million verdict after SWAT team searches wrong home based on Find My iPhone app -Capitatum
A woman wins $3.8 million verdict after SWAT team searches wrong home based on Find My iPhone app
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 12:16:46
DENVER (AP) — A 78-year-old woman who sued two police officers after her home was wrongly searched by a SWAT team looking for a stolen truck has won a $3.76 million jury verdict under a new Colorado law that allows people to sue police over violations of their state constitutional rights.
A jury in state court in Denver ruled in favor of Ruby Johnson late Friday and the verdict was announced Monday by the American Civil Liberties Union of Colorado, which helped represent her in the lawsuit. The lawsuit alleged that police got a search warrant for the home after the owner of a stolen truck, which had four semi-automatic handguns, a rifle, a revolver, two drones, $4,000 cash and an iPhone inside, tracked the phone to Johnson’s home using the Find My app, and passed that information on to police.
According to the lawsuit, Johnson, a retired U.S. Postal Service worker and grandmother, had just gotten out of the shower on Jan. 4, 2022, when she heard a command over a bullhorn for anyone inside to exit with their hands up. Wearing only a bathrobe, she opened her front door to see an armored personnel carrier parked on her front lawn, police vehicles along her street and men in full military-style gear carrying rifles and a police dog.
Detective Gary Staab had wrongly obtained the warrant to search Johnson’s home because he did not point out that the app’s information is not precise and provides only a general location where a phone could be, the lawsuit said.
Lawyers for Staab and the supervisor who approved the search warrant, Sgt. Gregory Buschy, who was also sued, did not respond to an email and telephone calls seeking comment. The Denver Police Department, which was not sued, declined to comment on the verdict.
The lawsuit was brought under a provision of a sweeping police reform bill passed in 2020 soon after the murder of George Floyd and is the first significant case to go to trial, the ACLU of Colorado said. State lawmakers created a right to sue individual police officers for state constitutional violations in state court. Previously, people alleging police misconduct could only file lawsuits in federal court, where it has become difficult to pursue such cases, partly because of the legal doctrine known as qualified immunity. It shields officials, including police, from lawsuits for money as a result of things they do in the course of their job.
The police used a battering ram to get into Johnson’s garage even though she had explained how to open the door and broke the ceiling tiles to get into her attic, standing on top of one of her brand new dining room chairs, according to the lawsuit. They also broke the head off a doll created to look just like her, complete with glasses, ACLU of Colorado legal director Tim Macdonald said.
Johnson is Black but the lawsuit did not allege that race played a role, he said.
Macdonald said the biggest damage was done to Johnson’s sense of safety in the home where she raised three children as a single mother, he said, temporarily forgoing Christmas and birthday presents to help afford it. She suffered ulcers and trouble sleeping and eventually moved to a different neighborhood.
“For us, the damage was always about the psychological and the emotional harm to Ms. Johnson,” he said.
veryGood! (996)
Related
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- The Daily Money: Reinventing the financial aid form
- Judge rejects Texas AG Ken Paxton’s request to throw out nearly decade-old criminal charges
- Beyoncé has been on the move and posting more lately, to fans' delight
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Amy Schumer Reacts to Barbie’s Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig Getting Snubbed By Oscars 2024
- Elkhorn man charged in Wisconsin sports bar killings
- Southern lawmakers rethink long-standing opposition to Medicaid expansion
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Kansas City tries to recover after mass shooting at Super Bowl celebration
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Protests, poisoning and prison: The life and death of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny
- Donor heart found for NBA champion, ‘Survivor’ contestant Scot Pollard
- Could Target launch a membership program? Here's who they would be competing against
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Crews take steps to secure graffiti-scarred Los Angeles towers left unfinished by developer
- 2024 NBA All-Star Game is here. So why does the league keep ignoring Pacers' ABA history?
- Ex-FBI official sentenced to over 2 years in prison for concealing payment from Albanian businessman
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Austin Butler Makes Rare Comment on Girlfriend Kaia Gerber
Taylor Swift announces new bonus track for 'Tortured Poets Department': How to hear it
Driver who rammed onto packed California sidewalk convicted of hit-and-run but not DUI
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Prince Harry Shares Royally Sweet Update on His and Meghan Markle’s Kids Archie and Lili
Oregon TV station apologizes after showing racist image during program highlighting good news
Taylor Swift gives $100,000 to the family of the woman killed in the Chiefs parade shooting